Friday was the first day of demolition. Our contractor Willy and his crew got to work upstairs tearing out the kitchen and that weird trattoria wall. I took my time changing the locks to avoid any strenuous activity but that didn’t last too long. When it was obvious that I hadn’t even broken a sweat, I was quickly assigned the tasks of removing the drop ceiling from the basement and cutting a hole in the wall to the staircase.
It was an extremely productive day and at the end I was asked to get a crew together for the weekend to keep the momentum going.
I managed to convince four friends to help out on Sunday and got there at 9am to get things ready. When everyone arrived, we attacked the future living room and removed all the plaster/slats/drywall. In a couple of hours the room was down to the studs. Cleaning up the mess we made took almost as long as it did to tear everything apart.
Several hours later, after two people had to go, the remaining three of us headed to the basement to pull down the ceiling tracks and rip out all of that “amazing” wood panelling.
After only two days, things have progressed quite a bit with the demo. This stage of the renovation should be completed sometime in the next few days, though I’m sure carting all the garbage out of the house and to the dump will end up taking a heck of a lot of time. I nominate Lee to be in charge of carting and dumping. All in favour say, “Aye.” Aye! Aye! Nay! Aye!
Looks like the “Ayes” have it.